Monday, March 9, 2009

Never to be separated again


This past weekend, as my husband and I got ready in the early morning hours to drive out and visit my uncle, we received the sad news that he had quietly passed away just hours before. Although aware of his ailing state, the news was not what we had expected that particular morning.

My uncle was the last of my father's siblings, my own father passing away over 4 years ago. Due to circumstances within the family, I had not seen my uncle for over 30 years, yet the passing of my dad prompted me to re-connect and we have enjoyed almost weekly visits for quite a while now. Not too long ago, I was given a box of old photographs that apparently my uncle had almost, inadvertently, thrown out. The above picture was taken of him during the l950's by a street photographer as he did some shopping in New Westminster.

My Uncle had seen a lot of changes during his 90 years; he came from a small coal mining town in Scotland and as a young boy of five, helped his family to make ends meet by delivering milk and coal. His time in the army, during the Second World War, took this young man from Blantyre into the Middle East and Egypt; he emigrated to Canada in the late 40's, where after a stint as a butcher, he landed a job at Pacific Veneer where he remained until his retirement.

As his family make preparations to celebrate his life, my thoughts have turned towards The Author of Life, and for those of you that meet with me every Thursday morning, I know you will understand my particular train of thought.

Life is fully celebrated in the Originator of Life... Jesus Himself. He said to a woman who was grieving the death of her brother, "I Am the Resurrection and the Life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"

I am thankful that I was able to be reconciled with my uncle during these last few years, I was blessed in the knowing of him. But even greater joy is mine in knowing that I have been reconciled to God my Father, through Jesus Christ His Son...never to be separated again.





No comments:

Post a Comment